Skip to main content

Kentucky Disability Resource Guide

twitter social button facebook social button emailus button

Supported Higher Education

Description: What is Supported Higher Education? Supported Higher Education in Kentucky is provided at several colleges and universities around the state. Supported higher education provides a way for students with intellectual disabilities to continue their education past high school, like their peers without disabilities. The Higher Education Opportunities Act of 2008 provides guidelines that gives students with intellectual disabilities access to Federal financial aid, including Pell grants and work-study, when they enroll in a Comprehensive Transition Program (CTP). The Kentucky legislature unanimously passed legislation enabling students in CTPs to access Kentucky Educational Excellence Scholarship (KEES) funds. Currently, students can access up to $250 KEES funds a semester. In Kentucky, there are currently three CTPs at Murray State University, Spalding University, and Bluegrass Community and Technical College. The Supported Higher Education Project (SHEP) at the University of Kentucky provides assistance to potential students and schools.


Phone Number: (859) 977-4050 EXT 243
Fax Number: (859) 977-4054
Mailing Address: Human Development Institute 1525 Bull Lea Rd Suite #160 Lexington KY 40511